Wednesday, January 24, 2007

And the winner is...........

some other lady!!!!!

I'm sitting down with the doctor and she's got the results of my labs in front of her:
CBC looks good.
Fasting blood sugar looks good.
Vitamin D is a little low
TSH 1.75 - really good (all things considered)
No antibodies present (I had my thyroid removed because of the antibodies that were attacking it???)

So, it's all looking very mysterious. My blood work is perfect. All except some low Vitamin D - to which I say "Welcome to Canada." What the heck????

All fine and good...she needs to go to her office for her prescription pad and I say..."What about my adrenals? How was my cortisol level??" She hands me the big pile of results and says "Take a look - I don't remember seeing it on there."

I'm checking it out and writing down the results of the things I thought might be interesting to have. There is no cortisol level. There is no Free T3 and Free T4 levels....weird....I look at the top of the sheet....well, last time I check I'm not Sandra Reeve (name changed to protect the innocent, poor dear with her decreased vitamin D level :( ).

So, we were checking the results of some other lady's blood work. Nice.

Bring on the accurate blood work.
High TSH - indicating more hypo than normal. Not surprised.
Cortisol a.m. level - 329 between 120 and 620 is normal - she'd like it to be higher though.
Free T4 - 9.2 - indicating more of the same...hypo.
Vitamin A - low
Vitamin B12 - wants to see it better - it's 177 - she'd like to see 500
no results for Vitamin D - poor Sandra and that low D level :(
Thyroid antibodies - 49
On an upside...I'm not in menopause :) Maybe I should have another baby.



ROFLMAO...NOT

I have to go to a compounding pharmacy to get the supplements she wants me to start taking. I need Vitamin A, a sublingual (under your tongue) B12 supplement, something called MABA, which I know nothing about, I think it's a combination of three different amino acids.
Tyrosine, which apparently, transmits nerve impulses to the brain, helps overcome depression; Improves memory; increases mental alertness; promotes the healthy functioning of the thyroid, adrenal and pituitary glands.
and Tryptan this medication is used in addition to antidepressants in the treatment of bipolar affective disorder. It works by affecting the levels of certain chemicals called neurotransmitters in the brain.

I guess this could explain the roller coaster that is my day to day experience (and everyone unlucky enough to know the real me.)

So, there ya have it. Nutritional changes as well. No more coffee. No more caffeine. No more unstable fats (vegetable oil, margarine), no more sugar, no more white flour. Luckily, I'd committed to changing my lifestyle the morning of my first doctor's appointment. And, I feel much better for it, so I don't think sticking with a new way of eating is going to be as difficult as it has been in the past. I've already lost 31 lbs in the last 6 months...so there are obvious advantages!

Let the healing begin.

No comments: