Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Medical mysteries continue

I saw Dr. A today. My TSH level last month was 24 (anything over 2 being bad). This month it was .03. Anything under 2 being bad. So, last month I was extremely hypo...this month hyper. What the hell??? Luckily, this doctor actually looks beyond the numbers. Plus, she also checks my Free T3 and Free T4 levels, which give a much more accurate reading of what's going on. My TSH levels have been reading normal for years. I KNOW that they haven't been, but the doctors I've seen won't look past the data. If Dr. A were following protocol, she would have to lower my dosages right now. I'm just starting to feel a little better, but my old doctor would've had a knee jerk reaction to this new lab result and pulled the rug out from under me. Thank god I've found this doctor - who actually furrows her brow and actively tries to figure out this puzzle. I figure my health is a big old puzzle of blue sky. All the pieces look like they should go together...but they don't :(

I also made a call and have an appointment to see Dr. K. She does something called European Biological Medicine. I love alternative medicine. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I love investigating the mind/body/spirit connection. I love thinking outside the box. I love being an active participant in my healing. I love the idea that I can be healthy without filling my body full of pharmaceuticals. I'll happily take my thyroid medications. I can't live without them...but for a lot of my other "issues", I really need to look deeper.

5 weeks ago I was in Dr. A's office with Michael, blubbering about how I needed to see a psychiatrist and psychologist and get on meds. I just need something to make me feel better NOW! I could even understand how people could commit themselves. I felt that bad. Of course the insane thyroid level was a huge contributing factor, but I didn't know it at the time. Dr. A didn't just write me a script for antidepressants and anti-psychotics and sleeping pills. She saw through the hysterics and tried to address the root. And, by prescribing me a higher dosage of thyroid and starting me on a T3 only med Liothyronin...things improved. No psychotropic drugs necessary. For me - this is good news. I needed someone to keep a level head and stay the course that I agreed I wanted to be on when I started to see her. I think I have a crush on her. :P

So, the mystery continues, but hopefully things will continue to improve :)