Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas Spirit?

Christmas usually brings a whole gaggle of angst. Lots of expectations. Lots of disappointments. And, that's just the stuff I put on myself - never mind going out into the big world. Family relations are expected THIS month - they don't happen any other month, but somehow it always stings more this month. In fact, as I write this I realize that I must've started blogging a year ago. Same theme, same topic...but this year, I'm strangely calm. It is what it is. I've reconciled myself to the reality. Nice feeling. Part of the reconciliation may just come from the move. We're in our new house. I love our new house. I love our new house decorated for Christmas. And, we (me) have decided that there will be no more travel. We will be here. Santa comes here, not to a Super 8. I can throw a turkey in the oven with the best of 'em (thanks to my friend Marguerite's tips). Come one, come all - cause I ain't leavin!

And, I'm on top of things. I've baked and baked and baked and baked. I've wrapped gifts and they're under the tree. I've cleaned. Not that you can tell, but I have. I have my Christmas dinner list and plan on doing things in advance so that when it's time, I can sit and visit and talk and laugh and love and enjoy - I'm looking so forward to that.

By golly, I do believe I'm getting my Christmas Spirit back. It's only taken 9 years. Retail will suck the life out of it and leave it for dead on the side of the road. It's nice to listen to Christmas music IN DECEMBER. It's nice to see Christmas trees IN DECEMBER. It's nice to not have to be yelled at by some yutz who's mad at you because they didn't get their poop in a group. See, almost a decade later and I still start twitching when I think about it. Can you have PTSD from working multiple Christmases?? I love, love, love, being free from that :)

No comments: